Which Is Best, Vinyl Or Composite Ranch Rail Fencing?
So, you’ve figured out that a wood ranch rail fence is going to take a lot of maintenance? Good for you, because a vinyl or composite fence for your horse ranch will last many more years and won’t ever need to be painted. In fact, some are backed by a lifetime warranty. No more replacing those miles of wood fences and cross-fences every 5 to 15 years!
Whether it’s vinyl or composite ranch rail fencing you choose, the result will wind up a much better investment. Fence building for a ranch means miles of material to replace. Although vinyl or composite ranch rail does cost more upfront, you won’t be faced with the several replacements during the lifetime of a wood fence.
Here is a closer look at the differences between vinyl ranch rail fencing and the alternative composites from Modern Decks & Vinyl Fences in Ontario.
What Vinyl Fencing Is Made Of
Vinyl fencing is made of pure PVC (polyvinyl chloride). It entered the market during the late 1970’s but wasn’t as strong as it is today. You can get what’s called a “Super Fence” that is much heavier and thicker than traditional vinyl ranch rail.
We get our vinyl ranch rail fencing material from a supplier called All Season Fencing because we feel that they make the best PVC vinyl ranch rail fences.
What Composite Fencing Is Made Of
Composite ranch rail fencing is made from recycled wood and plastic particles. It is solid rather than hollow like vinyl fencing. However, both are more durable than wood.
Our customers love Fiberon ranch rail fencing because the composite options come in coastal cedar, pacific redwood, and weathered pine. This fence is very durable. We also install Trex composite privacy fencing which is made from 95% recycled materials.
The Upside of Vinyl vs. Composite Fencing
– The horizontal boards of a composite ranch rail fence won’t sag because the material is very strong and is solid. Composite fence posts are also said to be thicker than vinyl. They don’t have to be sleeved or supported by metal for extra strength because the vinyl fence is hollow.
– Both the composite and vinyl fencing will not ever need to be painted or sealed for protection. They are very resistant to rotting and insect damage.
– Composite ranch rail fences are said to be made of a greener material because PVC is made of pure virgin plastic while composite fences are made of mostly recycled wood with some recycled plastic.
– Vinyl fences are easier to install because they don’t need screws or nails. Instead, they are formed into panels that notch together.
Drawbacks For Both Fence Types
Composite ranch rail fencing doesn’t have some of the drawbacks associated with vinyl fencing. However, there are some.
– Because a composite ranch rail fence is mostly made of wood particles, it is more expensive than vinyl. Also, the color can vary because it is made of recycled materials.
– Vinyl fencing can get cracked, especially around the base of the fence near the ground. The color can also fade as it is more affected by the sun’s rays because of its chemical formula. As mentioned, the vinyl fence you choose needs to be strong so there’s no problem with the rails sagging. Call Modern Decks and Fences for more information today!